Friday, November 7, 2008

Angkor Wat, etc.


Finally, the photos from Angkor Wat! And I'm sorry there are so many of them!


Outside of Angkor Wat.


Walking up to it.























Three Cambodian kids who trailed me for a while.
















There were carvings like this along all the inside walls of the city.







The stairs are much steeper than they look!













Local kids performing inside the main square of Angkor Wat.





Then I went on to Phnom Bakang, which required a bit of a hike into the hills, but was deserted and beautiful.



My first sighting of the temple.









The stairs I climbed up to the top.




View from the top- you can see all the way to the lake, a few hour drive from town.







Then onto Angkor Thom, to see something I've dreamed about- Bayon.












The faces of the Buddha. (Or king Jayavarman II, possibly)























Surreal.














Then over to Baphuon, still in Angkor Thom. You can't actually get into the temple right now, which was disappointing because its one of the main Hindu temples.



Baphuon.





Then I headed to Ta Prohm, to see the ancient trees growing out of the temple in the jungle.





















These roots were more than two times as big around as me.













No comments: